Monday, June 20, 2005

A miserable ungrateful creature

I was sitting there trying to read when a fifty year old lady caught my attention, as she came to sit in front of me with her husband and children. It was not anything she did or said that made my eyes follow her, but it was the fact that her husband was holding her hands tight and she was moving slowly, simply because she was blind. As she sat down, her husband and children went to grab some hotdogs and left her alone. So filled with peace, although her lost looks, she hanged her purse on her knee and leaned her bag on her leg, so she would feel them instead of seeing them. With tranquility, she sat there looking straight ahead as if she was watching the outside through the window.
A few moments later, her husband came, holding a hotdog in a bun for her. She took the plate from him and placed it on her laps and with searching fingers, she looked for the hotdog lying in front of her. As her fingers touched the bun, they eagerly started to search for the ketchup. As she found it, she leaned toward her husband and asked him if it was ketchup or mustard. Once he replied, the eager fingers tore open the pack and squeezed it all on the same spot. Then they spread the ketchup on the hotdog. She held the bun and slowly approached it to her mouth, which although was not a successful attempt in the first time, it was in the second. Just before her first bite, her youngest teenager son came back, all grumpy and moaning saying that they ran out of hotdogs and he couldn’t get any. So loving, she held the bun towards where the sound came from and offered him to take hers. When he asked her what she was going to eat if he took it, she simply smiled and said, “Don’t worry. I’m not that hungry. I’ll be fine.”
The words struck me tremendously. “Be fine”!!!! She was blind and she said she’d be fine. I wondered how many times I have not been fine and I thought that the world has come to an end because of a reason that doesn’t deserve. How many times have I complained about things that don’t matter? Then I realized how miserable ungrateful creature I am, not just for complaining but also for not appreciating or even realizing every bless I have.

4 Comments:

At June 21, 2005 2:01 AM, Blogger salateenoo said...

when I was young ..I was always wondering ...what would it be like if i was blind.....How would I move ....drink and eat...
Sometimes I close my eyes for along times to feel like the blind ....but i can t keep them closed for too long ...and when i open them .....i whisper to myself ...thank God that I am not a blind ...
but I still eager to know ....how would it be like if i was a blind one ....
anyway ...nice post ....i was feeling like i was sitting with you ....your details is so precise..

 
At June 22, 2005 6:56 AM, Blogger shamoussa said...

Me too.. I'm such an ungratefull creature
and you know what. .you really should be a writer..

 
At June 24, 2005 6:57 AM, Blogger doshar said...

the reason i actually got on your blog, is that my best friend's blog is called "away from home" she is incanada at the moment. i was curious to see who has such a similar name!!

anyway, don't be too hard on yourself, we all go through these moments of weakness before we remind ourselves that we are given so many blessings in life. it is good that you recognize the good things in your life. by the way, the lady you saw, she is strong yes but i am sure she had to fightsometimes to get where she is now. it is a good place to be content.

 
At July 18, 2005 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a touching story and guess what? I read it in a perfect timing :) today I woke up with extreme depression and home sikkness and that story made me count my blessings!! thank you Dalia.
I love the way you describe everything in detail ,I can easily imagine the whole sceen :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home