Sunday, August 21, 2005

Passing the good along...

(Dedicated to the best I have ever known, Mom and Dad)

When I was one, I was a helpless little creature that required someone to feed her, dress her and put her to bed.
At that time they were there, took every possible care and dedicated every moment of their time for me.

When I was five, it was time for me to go to school. So intimidated by the new environment I was.
They were there for me, encouraging me and telling me that it is there in school where I will learn my ABC.

When I was thirteen, I started to rebel, thinking that I know everything and feeling home was where I would suffocate.
So patient, they were there for me, not ever losing their temper and telling me how ignorant I was.

Then I became eighteen, ready to start college and so excited about a new world of freedom and independence.
They were there for me giving me their experience, love and support without trying to influence my character or who I was becoming to be.

Then I turned twenty five, so overwhelmed by the real world as it was time for all the big decisions to be made.
They were there for me, believing in my judgment and supporting every decision I make.

Then I close my eyes and see the future, when I am thirty, again overwhelmed with a responsibility of a marriage and children, wondering if I will ever be able to make a good parent.
I see them there, with their hands on my shoulder, telling me that I am doing fine.

Then I become forty two, driven crazy with teenage children that are always against everything I tell them.
I see them there, telling me to have patience and reminding me how things used to be with me.

Then ten years pass and I am fifty five, with my children have grown up and are now ready to make their own decisions.
I see them there, with a lovely smile telling me not to worry because I have done a good job and raised them fine. Then they laugh and say, “My little child, the world will repeat itself and the good our parents had done, we have passed along to you and you to your children. Now it’s your turn to tell them to pass it to theirs.”

Then I see myself, seventy years of age, and I see my children passing through it all, with children of their own, and the fear that they wouldn’t do it as well as I did. So I smile and hold their hands and tell them what my parents told me before. Then I think how extremely right they were and that it’s only through love, support and care that it is possible for us, the human kind, to survive.

5 Comments:

At August 22, 2005 9:40 PM, Blogger Majd Batarseh said...

very sweet :)
God Bless

 
At August 23, 2005 2:44 AM, Blogger shamoussa said...

Very very nice Delingoo..
You made me feel how bad I am right now ..

 
At August 23, 2005 4:45 PM, Blogger Majd Batarseh said...

i only wanted to tell u that i liked very much your comment in R's blog beyond normal under "thank God am not a woman" post ;)
God Bless

 
At August 23, 2005 5:02 PM, Blogger Delingooo said...

Shamoussa,
I know the feeling because I have it all the time. Being away from them makes me regret every time I said or did something that annoyed them, whether or not even they knew about it.

Petra,
Thanks, I am just trying...

 
At October 25, 2005 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we still love you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home